6 Steps to Setting Up Your Google+ Profile
Have you set up your Google+ profile yet? If not, do it now! Google+ is the fastest growing social media platform and a great Google+ profile is essential to growing your visibility. Setting up a Google+ profile is easy. Prior to setting up your profile thought and planning is needed about the image you are portraying. Follow these steps and tips listed below to optimize your Google+ profile.
How to set up your Google+ profile
- Select a profile photo – Your Google+ profile photo is best if it is a picture of you and the same one you use across all your social media profiles. It makes you instantly recognizable. A head-shot is preferable for your Google+ profile photo. The photo should be simple. Forget the hats, sunglasses or anything else that distracts from you. Do not use a picture of you with kids or pets. Also consider your clothing and be sure the shirt you have on is appropriate. Most importantly, don’t forget to smile. Ideal dimensions for a profile picture is 250px by 250px.
- Choose a cover photo – Your cover photo can depict your business or logo. This is where you brand yourself. The cover photo on your Google+ profile is huge so it is very important to choose wisely. Because of the size of the Google+ profile photo it is important to play around with design and cropping to be sure it looks good. Be sure to use the view profile as option to see what your cover photo looks like to the public. Some things you can to do to brand your company are:
- Share a photo of the staff – You can personalize your business by sharing a picture of your staff.
- Highlight your products or services – Show your users exactly what you have to offer.
- Announce an event – Your Google+ cover photo can be used to announce upcoming events by combining a picture and text.
- Ensure size is correct – ideal size for a cover photo is 2120px by 1192px.
- Add details to your about section – Include details such as employment, skills and occupation. This is where you can tell customers more about your brand. Make sure to include keywords in your detail section which will help you optimize your profile for searches.
- Choose who sees your information – You can control who sees your information and content by section. You can make each section public, private, or anywhere in between by choosing extended circles, public, or selecting one of your circles. These options are located in the drop-down menu associated with each editable field.
- Add your contact information – This is where your customers find the information needed to connect with you. Add an email address, phone number or other information that will allow your customers to connect with you directly.
- Check the view profile as public box to see how your profile looks to others – After you have completed your profile, you will want to see how it looks. You can do this by selecting the view profile as public option. View your page as someone that does not know anything about you or your business. What does your Google+ profile page represent? Does it represent your brand? Does it look inviting? It might also be helpful to get input from others you trust for another opinion.
Your Google+ profile is the first thing potential customers see. It is important to take the time to really think about what you are portraying and capitalize on the opportunity to grab your customers attention so they will join your circle.